The Barrow Mansion is listed on the National and New Jersey Register of Historic Places
This Greek Revival-style Mansion was constructed in 1837 as the home of Dr. William Barrow, an in-law of Cornelius Van Vorst – the owner of the farm that made up most of downtown Jersey City.
Throughout its history of more than 175 years, the stately building has also been known as the Ionic House, after the four columns that distinguish its portico.
Today, the mansion is owned by neighboring St. Matthews Lutheran Church and operated by the separate Barrow Mansion Development Corp. The four-story structure houses non-profit and civic-minded organizations and is available to host weddings, meetings and a wide range of other gatherings.